- First you need to know what firmware you're running by pressing *#0000# on the standby screen.
- Check HERE if there is an available update for your phone.
- Download Nokia Software Updater.
- Make a backup of your phone as this will delete everything (not your memory card/mass storage). It's advisable to backup contacts and messages only to avoid problems when restoring it.
- I suggest you take out the memory card before updating to avoid possible complications when the phone is booted up. Also, format your memory card as if everything is new.
- Make sure you have a full battery and put your phone in General profile. You can also charge your phone while updating just to make sure it doesn't turn off while updating.
- Open Software Updater and plug in your phone via usb. The Updater will detect your phone and will provide you the firmware needed.
- Download will be 10-15 minutes depending on your internet's speed. Flashing it will take less than 5 minutes.
MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT INTERRUPT ANYTHING WHILE UPDATING AS THIS WILL RESULT IN BRICKING YOUR PHONE!